The Planning4Delivery (P4D) programme has been gaining recognition at several rail industry awards
Working in partnership with Network Rail, the P4D team of OnTrac, EY, Capgemini and Arup were voted ‘Transformation Project of the Year 2022’ by ERP Today’s panel of industry experts and independent analysts.
The team successfully delivered the digital technology platform ‘NR RailHub’.
Since 2008, 33 Network Rail employees and contractors have tragically lost their lives working on or near the line. In July 2019, tragedy occurred when two trackworkers were struck and killed by a train in Margam, South Wales.
This accident shook the industry to the core and led to the formation of a focused and determined stakeholder group to improve safety practices. A Rail Accident Investigation Branch report into the incident identified several causal factors behind both this event and other fatalities and near-misses.
Despite several previous failed attempts at addressing these issues with technology, the P4D programme successfully designed, built, and introduced a fitting digital solution to support in addressing these challenges – NR RailHub.
What is P4D?
The P4D programme aims to improve the safety of work on or near the line for 22,000 Network Rail staff.
As part of the P4D team, OnTrac introduced a bespoke version of its flagship RailHub software, currently used and trusted by over 15,000 users and 650+ organisations across the industry supply chain.
NR RailHub is now delivering major safety, productivity, and useability improvements across Network Rail.
A comprehensive national rollout and business change programme is due to complete in November 2022.
What is NR RailHub?
NR RailHub is a new, cloud-based technology platform that supports Network Rail in digitising the scheduling, approval, and monitoring of planned maintenance works on Network Rail’s infrastructure.
Built on a 15-year reputation for excellence and reliability, NR RailHub allows Network Rail to carry out planning activities in an accessible way, whilst also enforcing critical safety standards.
Ten live data feeds, and an extensive database of reference materials, help to ensure that workers are kept safe using the latest relevant information. NR RailHub is also underpinned by a powerful reporting engine, providing new insights to helping to drive continuous improvements.
Improving trackworker safety
The P4D programme will equip everyone involved in the planning and delivery of rail infrastructure with better information for them to confidently plan and carry out safe behaviours on the front line.
A video overview is available here:
Key aims of the P4D programme include:
- Improving understanding of Standard 019 (NR/L2/OHS/019)
- Delivering accessible digital solutions so that vital planning and safety information is easily available in an accessible format
- Implementing a digital Safe Work Pack solution to help workers make the safest decisions for the work being planned
- Implementing a new Line Blockage System to improve safety and allow more work to be carried out under signal protection
- Introducing a new competence to empower and upskill those who carry out the role of Person in Charge
What are the Standard 019 principles (NR/L2/OHS/019)?
This standard concerns safety of people at work on or near the line. It outlines Safe Work Packs, roles, and responsibilities on rail projects (Responsible Manager/Planner/Person in Charge), and offers guidance on planning, risk assessment, and briefing.
Issue 11 is the latest amendment to Standard 019. It offers greater clarity on roles and responsibilities, as well as the contents of a digital Safe Work Pack. The Table 2 ‘Hierarchy of Controls’ has also been updated to encourage safer protection methods.
The Standard 019 Principles video briefing focuses on maintenance with the Person in Charge being integral in the process of planning and delivering safe work.
It can be accessed on the Network Rail website here.
Key benefits resulting from P4D
NR RailHub is ensuring that Network Rail enjoy many successful business outcomes, including:
- Reducing risk by introducing a more systemised, safety-compliant approach to planning and delivering work
- Reducing in near-misses, incidents, and NR’s Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate (LTIFR)
- Improved planning facilities to reduce the amount of open line working
- Ensuring that staff with the appropriate competence are involved in both planning and delivery (including an interface to Sentinel at each appropriate step)
- Comprehensive audit and history capture, enabling powerful new reporting and insights
- Ability to demonstrate compliance and improvement to both the ORR and other key industry bodies
- Live interfaces with 10 different data feeds, ensuring front-line staff have access to the latest information to keep themselves safe
- Reduction in unnecessary workload, with NR RailHub designed to be user-friendly and accessible
- Delivery of a long-term digital platform to introduce new applications to further improve safety, productivity, and the user experience
How does P4D affect my business?
Planning4Delivery is aligned to Network Rail’s Safety Task Force, which a broader programme of initiatives designed to introduce and embed improved safety practices across Network Rail and the wider industry.
The NR RailHub platform, built for Network Rail by OnTrac, includes a next-generation Safe Work Planning tool. This has been tailored to meet the needs of Network Rail’s maintenance and delivery teams.
OnTrac will soon be releasing SWP v.4., the most advanced Safe Work Planning software available for the industry. This has been designed with the industry supply chain in mind and incorporates excellent ideas and suggestions from our broad and experienced user community.
SWP v.4. ensures that you can plan work on or near the line productively and safely, whilst making use of exciting new features. SWP v.4. has been designed with you and your business in mind – so you can keep your staff working safe and productively, whilst keeping your costs and management overheads down.
Seeing the benefits of SWP v.4.
You can find out about the exciting new benefits and features of SWP v.4. here.
Through the Planning4Delivery programme, Network Rail are introducing and embedding enhanced safety and performance improvement initiatives throughout the planning and delivery process. This includes the introduction of NR RailHub – software used and trusted by over 15,000 users and 650+ organisations across the industry supply chain.
To share in the benefits that Network Rail are realising with NR RailHub, OnTrac are proud to soon be releasing SWP v.4. – the next-generation Safe Work Planning software tailored specifically towards the needs of the industry supply chain.
Take a look at SWP v.4. in action in our series of user videos. Alternatively our “sandbox” environment is available to all RailHub subscribers.
If you’re not a RailHub subscriber and would like to trial SWP v4. please register your interest below and we will be in touch with more info.
Or If you would like to know more about SWP v.4 or any of our other products and services please register your interest below.